Red spots on skin can affect your aesthetic, but can also be an expression of health problems. Keep yourself informed so you know what to do when problems arise.
The skin is the first barrier that defends our body against attacks from the outside environment, but also a mirror that reflects our emotional, metabolic, health and general state of well-being. Evidence over the years has shown changes most likely manifest with advancement in aging.
One of the most common types of skin lesions appear as red spots on the skin. Many things can cause these spots. Let us lake a look at what they are.
Most common types of red spots on skin.
The red spots on skin can have different characteristics.
This condition flat, red blotches on the face and areas which are exposed to external elements. Often they are accompanied by itching or other irritations of the skin.
This rash is located on the; cheeks, nose, chin and forehead. This skin condition is very common in the United States. And it normally occurs on very sensitive white skin. Rosacea is commonly accompanied by tiny blood vessels.
Bulky red pimples on the skin are known as papules. They usually have a whitish area at its center especially when they occur as a result of a bite from certain insects.
When red patches of skin contain liquid that may also be accompanied by other symptoms such as fever and pain. This skin condition is called Vesicular.
Spots on the skin that are the size of a pinhead and, the colors either; red, purple or yellow are known as petechia.
Causes of red spots on the skin
Sometimes there is a dilation of small blood vessels in different parts; such as the nose, cheeks and other exposed areas of the skin.
The appearance of red spots is caused by the dilation effect, damage or weakening of blood vessels under the skin. Among the causes of the appearance of red spots on the skin are eruptive viral diseases such as rubella, measles and chicken pox.
Allergic reactions are another of the most common causes of red spots on the skin or erythematous. In this case it is typically called contact dermatitis. There are basically two types: Contact with irritants or allergens.
Among the most common causes of allergic reactions are insect bites. Another is by different types of plants or herbs which can sometimes produce vesicular lesions and fever. The type of dermatitis this is caused by can not be clarified.
On other occasions red spots appear as a result of damage or weakness of the capillaries such as the practice of intense exercise or physical exertion. However, this can also be an expression of a capillary weakness due to age.
Some diseases can cause red spots on skin as those associated with clotting disorders, anemia, or leukemia.
Another cause of red spots on skin are hemangiomas. This is a benign tumor. They sometimes appear large or small. It can be congenital or appear anytime throughout the course of someones life.
Course of action to follow for red spots on skin..
Obviously, when taking action against red spots on the skin you should treat accordingly to the cause of the problem. In the case of viral diseases, you can apply general measures to help relieve symptoms. However, they will usually disappear alone within several days.
- In cases of dermatitis it is necessary for you to wash the affected area with fresh water and soap. Use a weak acidic substance, such as vinegar or lemon juice. You can use these
- For lesions associated with itching, their are lotions that you can use, such as; calamine lotion or solutions of colloidal oatmeal. You can also use cold compresses. But, if you do, I recommend using approx 3 times per day. The topical treatments however should help relieve symptoms immediately.
- On other occasions some people have indicated the use of creams containing corticosteroids helped to improve discomfort. If you have not had improvement you can take antihistamines such as; Benadryl.
- For rosacea, there are many natural remedies that improve symptoms and relieve discomfort caused by it. Including natural products made from Aloe vera, chamomile, apple cider vinegar, cucumber and olive oil among others.
- If you have vascularized lesions, lasers have proven to have a beneficial effect. There are different technologies and procedures available.
A few more tips if you have red spots on skin
- Consume fresh vegetables and fruits. It is advisable to get an adequate supply of vitamins C, E, B to avoid skin conditions.
- If you have red spots on the skin you should take action, because of the negative effect they may have on the aesthetics. Sometimes they may cause; low self-esteem or psychological instability. But, more important they could be symptoms of different diseases.
- Consult your doctor if you are worrying about red spots on skin in any way.