Prepare your own homemade facial toners
To properly care for our skin we must not forget that there is a step between the facial cleansing and moisturizing. And this is the use of a facial toner which helps to close the pores, refresh and tone the facial skin.
In this article I’ll explain why we should use a facial tonic and also offer some simple recipes for you to prepare your own homemade tonics, with natural ingredients and uplifting aromas.
Why should we use a facial toner?
Many people clean their skin well and moisturize regularly. But they often forget the step in-between. The step that can enhance the effects the cleansing and moisturizing has on our skin. Using a homemade facial toner will provide us with the following benefits:
- Normalize the pH of the skin after facial cleansing.
- Refresh our skin.
- Regulate the amount of fat without drying, especially in combination with oily skin.
- It provides us with the properties of the ingredients.
- It gives an appearance of firmness and radiance.
- Prepares skin to either moisturize or nourish with other specific products (creams, lotions, gels or masks)
How to use:
It’s very simple to use:
- After cleansing the skin in the morning or evening, you should use a cotton ball or makeup disc, which will soak in the tonic.
- Apply the tonic to the skin by tapping or making gentle circle motions around the face.
- Alternatively you can prepare a spray bottle type and apply it directly by spraying it on the face with your eyes closed.
- leave on for a few moments to dry before applying a moisturizer.
Try these revitalizing homemade facial toners..
Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic
Since vinegar can be very aggressive to our skin it is essential that you dilute with water before applying. Besides eliminating bacteria it also balances the pH of the skin.
To make this simple tonic you will need to get some ecological and unpasteurized, high quality apple cider vinegar, so it will contain all your vitamins and minerals. Vinegar is an acidic food, and the skin of our face, also has an acidic pH level, which is between 4.2 and 5.6 approximately. It should remain within that acidity to prevent drying or appearing devitalized. Therefore, to prepare this tonic simply mix one part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts of natural water. The vinegar smell will disappear after a few minutes, so you can’t tell if the moisturizer we use ends up masking the smell.
This tonic is an invigorating ancient remedy for beauty. Thanks to it’s wonderful properties that’s good for our circulation and skin in general.
There are two different ways to prepare this:
- Prepare some macerated vinegar and fresh rosemary, and mix with some fresh natural water. Mixing about 10 ml of natural water with 15 drops of essential oil of rosemary.
- The next way is to stir the mixture into a spray bottle/atomizer. So if you prefer, you can use a spray.
This is one of the best homemade facial toners because of it’s stimulating effect on the skin.
Almond and Rose Tonic
This tonic is ideal for dry skin and has a feminine and sensual aroma.
Mix the following ingredients:
- 20 ml of almond oil
- 100 ml of natural water
- 15 drops of essential oil of rose
- Mix ingredients well. (You can also add fresh petals to this toner if you prefer.)
Rosehip and Geranium Toner
This tonic is the best choice for mature or very dry skin because it has the ability to nourish and regenerate deep into the the skin cells. Mix the following ingredients:
- 100 ml of natural water
- 10 ml of rosehip oil
- 15 drops of geranium essential oil
Cucumber Cleansing Toner
Cucumber is a food that also has the ability to tone our skin, and if you use it as a tonic in some cases you may not have to pre-clean the skin, unless you also need to remove the remains of your makeup.
To make this toner use a juicer to get the juice of the cucumber or alternatively beat the cucumber with a little water. You can optionally add a tablespoon of oil vitamin E; this acts as an antioxidant, which is great for your skin.
Keep this toner in the refrigerator for up to a week. This toner is the best choice for your skin in the hot weather.
If you don’t have time to wait, you can just cut some slices of fresh cucumber and place all over the face. It is both cleansing and invigorating at the same time.
I hope you find my homemade facial toners useful.