Dead skin cells need to be removed to be replaced by healthy new ones..
The skin: it is the most extensive human organ, continually shedding dead skin cells, thus giving rise to new living cells moving up from lower layers. This constant renewal keeps your skin young, smooth and radiant.
As we get older, the natural cycle of skin removal begins to slow down, which results in accumulation of dead skin cells in outer layers. As a result, your skin begins to look dark and dull, leading to spots, blemishes and fine lines.
It isn’t enough to just take a shower or bath if you want to remove layers of the dead skin. However, exfoliation once or twice a week can help wonderfully with the removal of dead skin cells, helping to keep the skin looking smooth and vigorous. Exfoliation can also help moisturizers absorb into the skin deeper, plus improve the circulation.
It is necessary to exfoliate for all skin types, whether your skin is : dry, sensitive or oily. It is essential to exfoliate your face, feet, elbows and knees. It’s also essential to exfoliate areas that come to be dark and dull.
No need to use cleansers based on chemicals to exfoliate the skin. As you may find many of the ingredients in your own kitchen which will aid in the removal of dead skin cells, thus being replaced by the new ones making your skin clear and fresh once again.
How to get rid of dead skin cells with these 10 home remedies.
Oatmeal works especially well as a natural exfoliant because of its course like texture. It’s also suitable for all skin types too. Saponins in the oatmeal aid in the removal of the dead skin cells, over-produced sebum and impurities. Oatmeal is filled with vitamins and minerals that are particularly good for your skin too. Not to mention the protein which helps to retain water in the skin keeping your skin hydrated.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp of Oatmeal,
- with 2 tbsp of yogurt and
- 1 tbsp of honey.
- Cover your skin with the mixture and gently rub the skin in circular motions to lift the dead skin.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for approx. 15 minutes and rinse off with some cold water. Dry your skin by patting gently, then apply some moisturizer.
- Make a scrub with: 2 tbsp Oatmeal, 2-3 tsp Honey and 2 tbsp lemon juice mixed with a little water.
- Rub the Oatmeal scrub over the skin gently for approx. 10 minutes and rinse.
This Oatmeal Scrub can be used on either the face or body. But only use this remedy once or twice a week.
2. Sugar and Olive oil
Sugar and Olive oil is a great combination for exfoliating any skin type. The particles of sugar will help to remove the dead skin cells, whilst the olive oil is great for moisturizing the skin. You can use this scrub to exfoliate any part of your body, even your lips.
- half fill a cup with fine sugar and add 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- drop 2-3 tsp honey in and squeeze some lemon juice into the mix and mix well.
- Simply apply the mixture to your skin, then gently rub in circular motions for a few minutes.
- With warm water, rinse. Carefully pat skin dry.
This scrub is best used one to two times a week.
3. Green Tea
For those of you that drink green tea you might be surprised to find that you can make use of your tea bags after you have used it to make your brew. You can recycle the used green tea bag to make a really helpful homemade skin exfoliant.
As the texture of the leaves of the green tea is slightly rough it will help to exfoliate your skin and remove those dead skin cells, also dirt and impurities. Moreover, green tea can improve the skins flexibility, elasticity making your skin appear more healthy looking.
- From 1-2 used green tea bags put the contents in a bowl then add a couple tsp of honey.
- Add 1 tbsp of Baking soda. (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and spread all over.
- Let mask sit for approx. 10 minutes.
- Wet your fingers and gently rub to remove the mask.
This scrub is best used once per week.
If you’re in need of an execeptional exfoliant to get rid of a build up of nasty dead skin cells, everyday grounded coffee will be a brilliant choice.
Coffee ground can help to remove dead skin cells and aid the production of healthy new ones. Furthermore, flavonols found in coffee ground help to improve the texture of the skin and repair skin damage, so the skin maintains its radiant appearance.
- Make a paste by mixing 3 tbsp coffee ground, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or almond oil with 1 tbsp fine white sugar.
- Apply the paste to the skin (face, neck, knees and elbows) and massage gently using circular motions.
- Leave the paste on the skin approx 10 minutes.
- With warm water, rinse. Pat the skin dry gently.
This scrub is best used once per week.
Almonds are abundant in antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and other healthy fats. Which makes Almonds a great choice to care for your skin. They will help maintain your youthful looking appearance.
- Leave 10 almonds soak in some water overnight. Alternatively you can use milk to soak the almonds in for better results.
- After leaving to soak overnight, peel the almonds skin off and ground them into a grainy paste.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey to the paste.
- Apply paste to neck and face.
- Massage paste in circular motions for a few minutes and let dry for approx 15 mins.
- With warm water, rinse your skin where the paste was applied.
Use the almond and honey scrub once or twice a week.
6. Orange Peel
Don’t throw away your orange peels away after you’ve eaten your orange as they can serve a purpose. Instead let the shells dry out for a few days in the sunlight. Then, ground the shells into powder which you can use in your skin care routine.
Because this powder has the ability to be abrasive, it makes this a wonderful natural exfoliant. This exfoliant will help to remove the dead skin cells and dirt from your skin. Moreover, being a rich source of antioxidants and vitamin C it will aid in rejuvenation of the skin, helping keep your skin looking young and vigorous.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing an equal amount of powdered orange peel with some natural yogurt.
- Apply the paste to the neck and face.
- Leave the paste sit on your skin for approx. 20 minutes.
- Wet your hand and gently rub paste in circular motions.
Repeat this once weekly.
7. Chickpea Flour
This is a really impressive natural ingredient which will help to remove those unwanted dead skin cells, in-turn giving your skin back it’s natural glow. It also aids in the removal of unwanted fat from your skin and it prevents well know skin problems such as; acne, blackheads and pimples.
- Make a paste by mixing 2 tbsp chickpea flour with 2-4 tbsp of either plain water or rose water.
- Apply the paste to skin and leave until completely dry.
- With wet fingers gently rub your skin and rinse off.
This remedy is best used one to two times per week.
8. Warm Water soak with Pumice
This one is to exfoliate the feet and ankles. Bathing in warm water to soften hard dead skin and removing with a pumice is a great way to get rid of dead skin cells also if done regularly will prevent your feet from cracking.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and add a splash of paraben free liquified soap.
- Begin by soaking your feet in the warm soapy water for approx. 15 mins to soften your skin.
- Gently rub your skin with the pumice in circular movements for a further 10 mins.
- With clean water, rinse your feet and pat dry using a soft, dry towel.
- Generously apply some olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil to your feet.
- Wear some clean, cotton socks overnight whilst sleeping and awake with beautiful soft feet and ankle.
It’s only necessary to repeat once a week. Unless you like myself are constantly on your feet, then you can increase to 2-3 times.
9. Avocado Seed
Although Avocado is commonly used to make face masks, don’t throw away the seed as it can be used to get rid of dead skin cells. It will even aid in the removal of excess sebum and other unwanted toxins from the skin. The seed is abundant in antioxidants, which helps repair damaged skin and nourishing dry skin at the same time.
- Wash a few seeds of avocado and remove the brown skin.
- Ground them into a powder using a coffee grinder or high power blender.
- Mix 1 tbsp of this powder and 1 tsp of olive oil and honey in a bowl.
- Rub the mixture over face, neck hands and any other parts of the body gently in circular movements.
- Leave on approx 15 mins and have a warm bath.
This scrub is best used once per week.
10. Dry Brushing
Using a brush to dry brush your skin is also an effective way to help remove the dead skin cells, opening your pores in the process. Additionally dry brushing helps tighten the skin and improves the skins texture.
- Stand in your bathroom.
- Using gentle movements but brisk, start to brush your feet, slowly moving up, covering your legs, thighs, abdomen, chest, back, arms and shoulders. Do this for 10 to 20 minutes.
- After you have finished dry brushing, enjoy a long hot bath.
- Finally, dry the skin by patting gently and apply some moisturizer.
Dry brushing can be done a couple of times a week.
Note: Be sure to only use a brush made with natural bristles which has a sole purpose specifically for dry brushing.
More useful suggestions:
- Before exfoliation of the face, steam the face to open pores and soften the oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the deep layers of the skin.
- Steam your face for at least 20 minutes before applying a scrub.
- Your face must be clean and free of makeup before applying an exfoliant.
- As exfoliation removes the natural oil from the skin, making your skin dry, it is important to apply a moisturizer after.
- If any of the exfoliants used on your face gets in your eyes, rinse eyes immediately with cold water.
- Remember to be gentle while brushing because it be too harsh on your skin.
- Excessive exfoliation or harsh scrubbing can cause redness and irritation, bear this in mind.
- Do not use a loofah or sponge to scrub your skin. They are difficult to keep clean and tend to collect bacteria.
Their are so many additional homemade masks to exfoliate the face and body that can be made in your own kitchen. I hope you will no longer need to know how to get rid of dead skin cells and this article has been useful to you.